Wallingford Connecticut
Wallingford Connecticut
A Great New England Town
Home  |  Site Map  |  Phone Directory  |  Small Medium Large  
GovernmentDepartments and AgenciesEconomic DevelopmentAbout Our TownMeetings, Events & NewsLinks
Points of Interest:
Notable Historic and Architecturally Significant Homes

Notable Historic and Architecturally Significant Homes

All of the homes listed below are privately owned, with the exception of the Samuel Parsons' House, which is open to the public.
  • Reverend James Dana House
    100 South Main Street, circa 1760. Dana served as pastor of the First Congregational Church during the Revolutionary War period and played an important role in the politics of the day.

  • Samuel Parsons’ House
    180 South Main Street, circa 1759. Once served as a tavern and stage coach stopping point during the late 18th century, it now serves as the home of the Wallingford Historical Society.
  • Reverend Samuel Street Home
    238 South Main Street, circa 1673. It was constructed as the residence of Reverend Samuel Street, the first minister of Wallingford’s Congregational Church.
  • Nehemiah Royce House
    538 North Main Street, built in 1672. It is the oldest house in town and one of the most notable examples of saltbox construction in Connecticut. A nearby ground marker records its history. The house is owned by the Historic Preservation Trust.
  • Nathaniel Hall Homestead
    338 Williams Road, circa 1833. According to local legend this home’s Yankee owner was against his mason’s gambling. As a retaliatory measure, the masons set stones in the shape of a heart, a spade, a diamond and a club into the south wall of the house.
  • Samuel Simpson House
    1370 Scard Road. Home to 19th century industrialist Samuel Simpson, this structure was designed by nationally known architect Henry Austin.
  • John Barker House
    900 Clintonville Road, built in 1756. It is reported to be the oldest brick house in Connecticut. This house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Old Gungywamp
    892 Clintonville Road, circa 1670. It was originally located in Groton and moved to its present site in the 1920s by a local antiquarian. The style of this house is an added on, center chimney with lean-to.
  • The Octagon House
    37 New Place Street, Yalesville, circa 1855. This interesting and unusual structure is one of two built in Yalesville around 1850-60 when the octagon plan enjoyed a sporadic popularity. The rooms fan out from a central staircase, passage, and chimney.

Top  |  Print  |  + Share